woensdag 10 augustus 2016

#222: Corsola

Cute fan art of a shiny Corsola (the blue one) playing with
its regular counterpart.
I almost forgot this thing is... a thing. And I even used it in a playthrough. Honestly, it actually managed to put it some work with two Calm Minds up: its special defense is already decent and Calm Mind only buffs that stat up, as well as Corsola's special attack. And the move coverage was crazy; it can learn STAB moves like Surf and Power Gem (water and rock, respectively) and it has access to moves like Earth Power, Ice Beam, Psychic and Shadow Ball. You probably wonder why I wanted to use Corsola in the first place, but I didn't really have a reason for it. I just decided to use it when I caught one. It wasn't my best Pokémon by any means, but it has to be said that's due to Corsola's low base stat total (380). And because of that, Corsola is actually pretty booty, even to use in a goddamn playthrough. I had the luck my Corsola had a Modest nature, otherwise I would have simply ignored it. It goes without saying that Corsola's low stats leave you with nothing else to do but to throw this thing back into the sea without hesitation when you're looking for a competitive Pokémon. Just... don't use it. The fact that I had fun with it for a while doesn't mean that you will enjoy using it, but just in case I have piqued your interest and you want to use it now: by all means, go ahead.

Nice sub-aquatic art of Corsola. Surprisingly, there is quite some
fan art of Corsola to be found on the Internet. 
However, Corsola is one of those Pokémon that easily keeps being forgotten. Even by me, and I used one to guide me through Pokémon X. It's a shame, because Game Freak used an interesting concept to define Corsola: red coral, which is used as a precious stone because of its durable and intensely colored red or pink skeleton. The Dutch even call it bloedkoraal ('blood coral') because of the intense red color. However, excessive fishing has damaged the species along the Mediterranean coastline, which has resulted in several protection enactments. The tips of Corsola's head is also treasured for its beauty - they even glitter in seven colors when they catch sunlight - but at least Corsola can shed its branches and grow them back over the course of a single night when it's healthy. When the water it lives in is polluted, however, the branches discolor and deteriorate due to a lack of nutrition Corsola gets from clear water. The one thing I think should have been included in Corsola's Pokédex entries is whether it has been hunted to near extinction for its growths or not, similar to its real-life counterpart red coral. The protection laws that have been in effect in Banyuls, Carry-le-Rouet and Scandola - the three oldest Mediterranean Marine Protected Areas, all off the coast of the island of Corsica - since their approval resulted in growing colonies of red coral at shallow and deeper depths.

Yeah, it would have been nice if Corsola's Pokédex entries had contained such information, but at least Game Freak gave this Pokémon some thought. I think. I'm not a huge fan of the design, but I guess it's okay, although it'll have an influence on my overall rating of Corsola. The same counts for its nonexistent competitive abilities and the fact that it's a forgettable Pokémon at best, but I won't be savage: Corsola gets a 3.5-star rating.

Rating: 3.5/5

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten