zondag 18 juni 2017

#370: Luvdisc

I still have no idea why this thing even exists. What I want to know is who the goddamn hell came up with a heart-shaped discus fish as a Pokémon and had the chutzpah to name it Luvdisc. It is also the weakest single-stage Pokémon to date, with base stats of 43 for HP, 30 for attack, 55 for defense, 40 for special attack, 65 for special defense and, finally, a whopping 97 for speed! That means Luvdisc is at least fast enough to do... well, absolutely fucking nothing. This thing has a base stat total of only 330 and it isn't even able to evolve (everybody was surprised that Luvdisc and Alomomola, a Gen. V Pokémon that was introduced years later, weren't related whatsoever), meaning it's only good for wasting space in your PC box. Or for harvesting Heart Scales, for that matter, but even that has been made quite redundant recently, as they're fairly easy to obtain without abusing the hell out of a bunch of Luvdisc first. Seriously, just catch one to fill your Pokédex and immediately trade it off for a Steelix with a guy in the Cyllage City Pokémon Center. I swear, that's a hell of a trade.

Shitty Pokémon is shitty.

So shitty, in fact, that absolutely nobody fucking wants it.

This bitch ain't nothing but a flat, pink, heart-shaped fish. 

And that's a problem when these kissing gouramis are found LITERALLY EVERYWHERE! In Ruby, Sapphire and their remakes, you can't even fish for another Pokémon without encountering a couple of Luvdisc first, and in X and Y they are found all along the western and northwestern coastal area of Kalos. During the spawning season, countless Luvdisc congregate at coral reefs, turning the waters a brilliant pink. That's when you know when there are too goddamn many of them. Tentacool? Zubat? Give me a break, it's Pelipper and Luvdisc I'm tired of seeing all the fucking time. And then its name... "Love disc?" Are you serious? I, of all people, could have come up with that name, and I dare say I'm pretty unimaginative. Well, it earned its name by swimming after loving couples it spotted in the ocean's waves, and it has been a symbol of love and romance ever since, so I guess I'm not the only one who's terrible at making up names. We all know two people in love are cringy as hell, right? It is said that any couple meeting this Pokémon is promised a loving, eternal relationship, and there is a custom from long ago of giving a Luvdisc as a gift to express one's feelings of love. Honeymoon hotels even release this Pokémon into their pools on a regular basis because couples have a soft spot for it. Trust me, if I am given a Luvdisc by my boyfriend as an expression of his love, I'd throw that goddamn thing right back at him anime style and say he'll have to fetch me a Shinx or something. Or else.

Hated Pokémon is hated.

So hated, in fact, that it is universally thought to have one of the laziest designs of all existing Pokémon. I can't help but to concur.

Flat, pink, heart-shaped 3D fish. 

It's kind of ironic that my cries to put Luvdisc out of its misery are answered by a Pokémon I hate even more: when a Luvdisc is left on its own, it becomes despondent, leaving itself open to be snatched up by Pelipper. Even though it'd be better for it to not exist, it still does, and it was even given an anime special ("Luvdisc is a Many Splendored Thing", a reference to the film Love Is a Many-Splendored Thing, as well as the song with the same name featured in the film) focusing on two Luvdisc called Caserin and Luverin owned by Misty and some unknown chick. The most incomprehensible thing about it all is that Dr. Namba - the same mad scientist who tried to kidnap Silver, that baby Lugia - wants to steal them for his plan to reverse their power in order to eliminate all love from the world forever. In the Japanese dub, however, he just wants those Luvdisc for one of its Team Rocket projects, which... makes no sense. I understood Namba for wanting Lugia, as it's a frickin' legendary and all, but Luvdisc? Anything is better than that pointless and unimaginative little fish thing. Luvdisc? More like, "Don't-make-me-fucking-laugh disc."

Useless Pokémon is useless.

So useless, in fact, that it needs to be exterminated already. Does somebody want to volunteer?

P.S.: I knew Smogon wouldn't disappoint me.

Rating: 1/5

2 opmerkingen:

  1. I respectfully disagree with your opinion on Luvdisc, i actually like that mon. It's too overhated nowadays.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. While I was trying to be funny in this review, I do realize that I'm actually a little bit too salty, but that's because... well, I hate Luvdisc. Its stats are terrible, its design is lazy and I think it's one of the most annoying Pokémon to encounter in-game. I think Luvdisc is universally hated for a reason, although there are people who do like this thing. You're right, though; let's just agree to respectfully disagree. ;)

      Verwijderen